PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION CERTIFICATES
Time Commitment4 days
Earn a digital badge after successful completion of the course.
A certificate will be awarded upon successful completion of this course.
Traveling to Ann Arbor?
Information on airport, hotels, local food options, and more.
Returning in 2023
Gain the skills to scale up battery innovations with the University of Michigan Battery Lab.
Learn the fundamentals of battery cell manufacturing, understand energy storage technologies, and acquire the skills to scale up innovation. You will gain exposure to the aspects of building a battery from start to finish through hands-on sessions in the University of Michigan Battery Lab with instruction from U-M faculty and industry experts.
Through multiple learning methods, participants gain insight into the various aspects of battery manufacturing, including:
- Design and safety
- Mixing and rheology
- Introduction to Battery Design and Safety
- Mixing and Rheology
- Battery Electrochemistry
- Hands on in the Battery Lab: Slurry Preparation and Coating
- Battery Packs, Modules, and BMS
- Intro to Solid-state Battery Chemistries
- Hands on in the Battery Lab: Coating and Calendering
- Overview of Battery Testing
- Battery Safety
- Cell Safety and Nail Penetration Demonstration
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Engineers, chemists, and material scientists will benefit from this course. Professionals from companies developing batteries for automotive, consumer products, and grid-scale store will find Battery Manufacturing especially useful.
UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN BATTERY LAB
Dedicated in fall 2013, the Battery Fabrication and Characterization User Facility is a space developed in cooperation with the Michigan Economic Development Corporation and Ford Motor Company. This lab enables industry and university researcher collaboration on developing cheaper and longer lasting energy-storage devices in the heart of the U.S. auto industry.
GREG LESS, PhD
- Lead Instructor
- Technical Director, University of Michigan Battery Lab
Bart Bartlett, PhD
- Professor of Chemistry, College of Literature, Science, and the Arts
- UMEI Associate Director of Science and Technology, College of Literature, Science, and the Arts
LARRY BECK, PHD
- Energy Storage Consultant
Christianna Lininger, PhD
- Director of Battery Science and Engineering, Voltaiq
Steffen Pilotek, PhD
- Sales Account Manager, Grinding and Dispersing, Bühler Group
Tal Sholklapper, PhD
- CEO and Co-Founder, Voltaiq
JASON SIEGEL, PHD
- Associate Research Scientist, Mechanical Engineering, College of Engineering
Adrian Spillmann, PhD
- Director, Market Segment Battery Solutions, Bühler Group
BERNHARD STALDER, PHD
- Senior Technologist Battery Solutions, Bühler Group