FOUNDATIONS OF MOBILITY
Mobility & Technology
Earn a digital badge after successful completion of the module.
A certificate will be awarded upon successful completion of Course I and/or Course II.
The Mobility and Technology module examines trends, opportunities, and challenges associated with intelligent transportation systems. You will learn about connected and automated vehicles, including communications technology, data standards, cybersecurity and privacy, and intelligent sensing/control. The module also covers road infrastructure technologies, such as traffic management and modeling applications, along with mobility services like mapping and decision-making technologies. You will walk away with a big picture understanding of smart transportation and its many applications.
You will finish this module with an understanding of connected and automated vehicles, road infrastructure, and mobility as a service.
- Introduction to Smart Transportation Systems
- Connected Vehicle (CV) Technologies
- Communication Technology and Protocols
- CV Data Standards
- CV Applications
- Automated Vehicle (AV) Technology
- AV sensing, planning, and control
- AV testing and evaluation
- Cyber security and privacy with CAV
- Road Infrastructure Technologies
- Traffic Management Technologies
- Traffic Modeling and Simulation
- Traffic management with CAVs
- Mobility Service Technologies
- Map Services I: Map Matching, Route Planning, Estimated Time of Arrival (ETA)
- Map Services II: Traffic Estimation, Traffic Forecast
- Decision Making Services: Dispatching
- You will have access to the Mobility and Technology module for 60 days.
- This module contains 6-7 hours of required recorded material and an associated testing assessment.
- The module also includes supplemental reading material to bolster your knowledge.
Earn a digital badge for the Mobility and Technology module by successfully completing the module topics, readings, and testing assessment with an 80% pass rate.
To earn a Certificate in Foundations of Mobility, consider enrolling in our 15-week courses: Course I: Mobility Behavior & Technology and Course II: Mobility System Design, Finance & Regulation.
There are no prerequisites for this module.
To view technical requirements, click here.
Administrative/Online Technical Support
Support staff are available via phone and email to help with administrative and technical issues during our normal business hours (Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time).
Content Questions and Support
Candidates are welcome to contact the course instructors and/or their course assistants with content-related questions and support.
Henry Liu, PhD
- Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Research Professor, U-M Transportation Research Institute (UMTRI)
Foundations of Mobility Online Certificate
TWO COURSES • 15 WEEKS EACH
Foundations of Mobility provides systems-level knowledge and skills required to address complex mobility challenges. Learn from expert faculty from six different colleges across the University of Michigan. Gain real-world skills and practical applications. Leave with a distinguished credential from the leaders in mobility research and education.