What is Kata?
- Introduction to Simulation
- Round 1 of the simulation, collect baseline metrics
- Identify opportunities for improvement
- Overview and Improvement Kata Practice
- Understanding the direction
- Create high level Value Stream Map for simulation
- Introduction to Storyboards
- Identify vision, challenge, and focus process for simulation storyboard of round 2 of simulation, collect current condition data
- Grasp the Current Condition
- Create Value Stream Map for simulation
- Update storyboards
- Identifying a Target Condition
- The PDCA process
- Round 3 of simulation, conduct first experiment, collect new current condition data - Reflections of Day 1
- Deploying Kata in your organization
- Review proven approaches
- Developing second coaches
- Developing your plan, participants share their plans going forward
- Reflections of Day 2
- Brief history of Zingerman's Mail Order (ZMO)
- On Day Three, you will have the opportunity see Kata in action at Zingerman's Mail Order, an online gourmet food shop that does annual sales of nearly $18 million. Participants can learn firsthand from ZMO after years of practicing Kata. Learn what worked, didn't work, and adaptations that ZMO has made along the way.
- Tour of ZMO
- Overview of Kata Boards
- Lunch with Zingerman’s Mail Order Staff
- Open Book Finance Huddle
- Kata in the Classroom 1
- "Kata in the Classroom" (KiC), is an interactive introduction to the four steps of the Improvement Kata used to help anyone teach scientific thinking. Along with the U-M instructional team, Betty will discuss how KiC can help learners of all ages easily grasp the importance of establishing a clear target, setting achievable goals, and taking controlled steps to get there.
- Kata in the Classroom 2 - With Mike Rother Author of Toyota Kata
- Work with U of M Instructors on your deployment plan
The Improvement Kata
A four-step sequence that is a systematic, scientific pattern for managing teams. Practicing it helps any team get better at meeting goals and challenges.
Understand the CHALLENGE
Grasp the CURRENT CONDITION
Establish your NEXT TARGET CONDITION
EXPERIMENT toward the Target Condition
The Coaching Kata
A set of teaching routines that help you develop coaching skill. It is a coaching pattern that helps managers teach Improvement Kata thinking and acting.
the five Coaching Kata questions
a plan for deploying Kata in your organization