NEXUS NEWS

CyberSecurity Graduate Spotlight: Nick Ellison

May 7, 2024

by Sydney Smith

Nick Ellison graduated from the Cybersecurity Bootcamp program in July 2023 and leveraged his newfound knowledge to change his career. As a University of Michigan alumnus, Nick was well-versed in the university’s rigorous academic environment, innovative culture, and exceptional faculty. Throughout the program, he effectively used these resources to advance his cybersecurity knowledge and transition from the field of education to information security. Nick sat down with us to discuss his experiences from the bootcamp and how they propelled him into his current role.

CAN YOU DESCRIBE YOUR CURRENT ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES?

NICK: I am currently an IT Support Analyst. Most of my job includes working at the help desk, but I have various responsibilities. I do a lot of work with Microsoft Active Directory, such as managing assigned groups and writing queries for dynamic groups to automatically assign department members to these groups. I also do some cybersecurity work using Abnormal software and Microsoft 365 admin panels.

WHAT MOTIVATED YOU TO TRANSITION FROM YOUR PREVIOUS CAREER TO CYBERSECURITY?

NICK: If I’m honest, I saw an ad for this program that promoted entry-level pay for cybersecurity positions. And I thought, wow, that’s more than I’m making teaching. So, initially, I was interested in the higher paycheck.

But I also know that tech and cybersecurity are popular right now, so it was a good field to get into. I also wanted a low-stress job that would be better for my mental health. Teaching proved to be stressful, and I wasn’t working the hours I thought I would. My new job is much less stressful, and I am really enjoying it so far.

WHY DID YOU CHOOSE THE UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN’S CYBERSECRUITY BOOTCAMP PROGRAM?

NICK: The university’s reputation played a big part in my decision since it’s a renowned school. I also got my undergraduate degree in teaching from U-M.

In addition, I decided to take the introductory course first. It’s a month-long course you can take to determine if you want to apply for the entire program. During that intro course, I was surprised by how much there was to learn. I questioned whether the course was really for me. But in the end, I decided to complete the full program, and I’m really glad I did.

WHAT WAS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU LEARNED IN THE CYBERSECURITY BOOTCAMP PROGRAM?

NICK: There were three things. The first was being able to build confidence in myself when it comes to problem solving. When I first started the program, I didn’t know where to begin troubleshooting or where to start asking the questions I needed answers to. This program teaches you what to look for when something is going wrong. You’ll learn how to dig a little deeper and try to figure things out. So, building confidence and learning where to gather information was huge. The second thing was learning technical skills. I learned tools and systems like Active Directory, Linux, Windows, Kali Linux, etc., and I quickly got comfortable with computers and technology.

The third thing this program helped me with was passing my CompTIA Security+ certification test. The program places a huge emphasis on gaining entry-level certifications for career advancement. I’m proud that I have the certification because it reflects the confidence I’ve gained based on what I learned in the program.

HOW HAVE YOU APPLIED WHAT YOU’VE LEARNED IN THE PROGRAM IN YOUR ORGANIZATION?

NICK: An exciting thing happened the other day, but it was also kind of scary. Our chief marketing officer got a phishing email from a fake law firm that said they were going to sue her because of copyright infringement. It had a fishy link in it, so she asked us to take a look. I looked at it using Microsoft Sandbox. I pulled the resources from the email to examine their legitimacy. While I was reviewing the links in Sandbox, 12 Javascript files automatically started loading like they were trying to run malware. So I told our CMO, “Yeah, please don’t click anything in that.”

The other big thing I’ve applied is how to gather information and get my bearings before reaching out for help. I’ve been able to solve things on my own by asking important questions like “What do I have? What do I need? What am I looking for? And where can I start to find those things?” Those questions help me solve things on my own.

CAN YOU TELL ME ABOUT YOUR EXPERIENCE LEARNING FROM THE INSTRUCTORS?

NICK: Every single one of them was really passionate about the course. The professors are people actively working in their fields, which made the material authentic. They would use real-world examples of work they’d actually done. We’d be in the middle of a project, and they would stop to tell us how it connects to something they’ve worked on.

For example, one instructor showed us how to use software to replicate a banking login page to steal someone’s information. If someone tried to log into Bank of America, you could recreate the login page and mask your device and IP address. You effectively create a fake login page, and when someone logs in, you can steal their credentials and money. The instructor worked for a bank and said this happens all the time, so he taught it to us. I appreciated how the instructors taught the material using real-world examples that we could actually use in the future.

Not to mention, there wasn’t a lot of hand-holding in the program. The instructors would give us assignments and some options to explore, and we would have to do a bit of detective work to figure it out ourselves. But that doesn’t mean they weren’t open to questions. I honestly think that every instructor was very open and willing to help, especially if you came in asking about something you were working on.

CAN YOU SHARE ANY TIPS OR STRATEGIES THAT HELPED YOU MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR EXPERIENCE IN THE PROGRAM?

NICK: The instructors will say this often, but try to have your camera on. From their perspective, it’s so they know who you are. They might be more willing to write a letter of recommendation for you if they can put a face to a name. Also, keeping your camera on helps you keep yourself accountable. You are there. You are ready to learn. Then, the instructors know you’re there and ready to learn. Don’t waste your own time and money if you aren’t willing to jump into this wholeheartedly.

Also, be aware that you are not the only person who is going to struggle with something. I definitely struggled with things. Just be okay with the fact that you are new to this. There are going to be other people who are new to this. You are here because you are looking for something new. And so it’s okay not to be an expert right away.

WOULD YOU RECOMMEND THE CYBERSECURITY BOOTCAMP TO OTHERS? 

NICK: Yes, I would definitely recommend the program. It may not be for everyone, but I got something out of it—and so did everyone else in my cohort. Even if you don’t make a complete career change like I did, you’ll still learn a lot, be able to apply the lessons, and gain multiple skills.

Scroll to Top

CONTACT US

Would you like to request a custom course? Please email Andrea Schuitman at [email protected] or submit the form below.

Become Our Next Partner

We want to build relationships with people and organizations and welcome the opportunity to connect with you.

Please submit form or call (734) 647-7200 to get started.