CERTIFICATE IN CURRENT AND EMERGING TECHNOLOGIES (CCET)
Design and Manufacture of Multi-Material Lightweight Structures
Time Commitment5-7 hours
Earn a digital badge after successful completion of the module.
A certificate will be awarded upon successful completion of 4 CCET modules.
The adoption of multi-material lightweight structures has become imperative for the transportation industry. This online module will teach you the unique challenges in their design and manufacture, along with basic considerations in material selections, dissimilar materials joining methods, and joint performance characterization methods.
- Understand current trends in manufacturing lightweight structural components
- Become knowledgeable about the range of available lightweight materials and manufacturing processes
- Appreciate how ICME models can optimize product design and manufacturing
- Learn how to select the appropriate material and manufacturing process for each component
- Structural Lightweighting Trends and Multi-Material Structures (28 min)
- Major Challenges in Design and Manufacturing of Multi-Material Structure (51 min)
- Major Lightweight Structure Materials, Applications, and Combinations (47 min)
- Dissimilar Metals Joining Techniques: Principles and Applications (64 min)
- Polymer/Metal Joining Techniques: Principles and Applications (24 min)
- Principles for Joint Design and Applications for Dissimilar Metal Joining (54 min)
- Joint Stress Concentration Analysis Method for Fatigue Evaluation and Test Data Correlation: Part I (28 min)
- Joint Stress Concentration Analysis Method for Fatigue Evaluation and Test Data Correlation: Part II (45 min)
Modules are divided into shorter segments making it easier to learn at your own pace.
If completing a specialization, all four modules must be purchased together and completed in 180 days. For individual modules, you will have 60 days to complete.
Successful completion requires you to receive an 80% passing grade on the module assessment.
Upon successful completion of 4 modules purchased as a group, you will receive the U-M Certificate in Current and Emerging Technologies.
Select 4 modules from one concentration to deepen your knowledge in a subject or area. If you choose a specialization, your certificate will note the specialization you completed.
There are no prerequisites for this module. A bachelor’s degree in a science, engineering, or technical field is recommended, but not required.
To view technical requirements, click here.
Administrative/Online Technical Support
Support staff are available via phone and email to help with administrative and technical issues during our normal business hours (Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time).
Content Questions and Support
Candidates are welcome to contact the course instructors and/or their course assistants with content-related questions and support.
Pingsha Dong, PhD
- Program Director, Global Automotive & Manufacturing Engineering