CERTIFICATE IN CURRENT AND EMERGING TECHNOLOGIES (CCET)
Smart Production Systems
Earn a digital badge after successful completion of the module.
A certificate will be awarded upon successful completion of 4 CCET modules.
Smart Production Systems (SPS) are manufacturing systems capable of self-diagnosing and autonomously designing optimal continuous improvement projects. This online module provides an introduction to SPS technology and its relation to Industry 4.0, enabling learners to participate in the design, implementation, and operation of PMA-based SPS.
- Acquire understanding of the field of Smart Production Systems, namely, SPS structure, information requirements, and potential effectiveness
- Acquire a working knowledge of Programmable Manufacturing Advisor, enabling the PMA application for designing effective continuous improvement project
- Develop skills necessary for managing PMA-based SPS
- Be able to participate in programming and installation of PMA-based SPS on the factory; specifically, assisting in developing a mathematical model of the production system at hand and forming the equipment status database
- Be able to evaluate SPS efficacy, as compared with other types of production systems management (i.e., by experience, intuition, discrete-event simulations, etc.)
- Introduction to SPS, PMA, and PMA-based SPS (38 min)
- SPS vs Other Managerial Techniques (31 min)
- Types of Production Systems, Machine and Buffer Parameters, and Performance Metrics used in PSE and PMA (42 min)
- PSE and PSE Toolbox concepts embedded in PMA (48 min)
- PSE Toolbox Modules for Performance Analysis, Bottleneck Identification, and What-if Analysis (24 min)
- PSE Toolbox Modules for Leanness Lead Time Analysis and Control, MJP Performance Portrait, and Quality (37 min)
- PMA and PMA-based SPS Architecture, SPS Databases, and Steps for SPS Deployment (44 min)
- Demonstration of PMA-based SPS Operation at Large and Small Production Systems (57 min)
- Course Summary and Extensions (28 min)
Modules are divided into shorter segments making it easier to learn at your own pace.
If completing a specialization, all four modules must be purchased together and completed in 180 days. For individual modules, you will have 60 days to complete.
To successfully complete Smart Production Systems, you must receive an 80% passing grade on the module assessment.
Upon successful completion of 4 modules purchased as a group, you will receive the U-M Certificate in Current and Emerging Technologies.
Select 4 modules from one concentration to deepen your knowledge in a subject or area. If you choose a specialization, your certificate will note the specialization you completed.
There are no prerequisites for the Smart Production Systems module. A bachelor’s degree in a science, engineering, or technical field is recommended, but not required.
To view technical requirements, click here.
Administrative/Online Technical Support
Support staff are available via phone and email to help with administrative and technical issues during our normal business hours (Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time).
Content Questions and Support
Candidates are welcome to contact the course instructors and/or their course assistants with content-related questions and support.
Pooya Alavian, PhD
- Research Assistant, College of Engineering
Semyon Meerkov, PhD
- Professor, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Liang Zhang, PhD
- Professor, College of Engineering, University of Connecticut