FOUNDATIONS OF MOBILITY
Financing the Transportation and Mobility Ecosystem
This module explores transportation and mobility infrastructure finance, including the structure and sources of financing, public and private financing models, tokenization, and finance in the digital era. After gaining a fundamental understanding of investable assets and the risk and reward framework, you will learn about public transportation financing — public-private partnerships, tax increment financing, and value capture finance — along with private mobility and transportation models. The module then examines blockchain finance in transportation and mobility, including the Mobility Open Blockchain Initiative (MOBI), before concluding with a look at the future of mobility and finance in the digital era.
By the end of this module, you will understand the definition and types of infrastructure, infrastructure finance challenges, and how transportation and mobility comprise a complex system where financing depends on the type of infrastructure under consideration.
- Introduction to Transportation and Mobility Infrastructure Finance
- Infrastructure, Performance and Economic Growth
- Investable Infrastructure Assets
- Risk and Return Framework for Financing Infrastructure
- Financing of the Transportation Infrastructure Ecosystem
- Infrastructure and Mobility Ecosystem Structure
- Sources of Financing and Funding for Infrastructure
- Sources of Financing and Funding for Mobility
- Public Transportation Infrastructure Financing
- Tax Increment Financing
- Value Capture Finance
- Private Mobility and Transportation Infrastructure Financing
- Toll Roads
- Intelligent Infrastructure Systems
- Integrating Public and Private Finance for V2I Applications
- Blockchain, Tokenization, and Mobility
- The Blockchain Value Proposition
- Infrastructure Blockchain Finance
- Blockchains in Transportation and Mobility: MOBI and Beyond
- The Future of Mobility and Finance in the Digital Era
- Application Use Case
- You will have access to this module for 60 days.
- This module contains 6-7 hours of required recorded material and an associated testing assessment.
- The module also includes supplemental reading material to bolster your knowledge.
Successful completion of module topics, readings, and testing assessment with an 80% pass rate is required to earn a digital badge for this module.
To earn a Certificate in Foundations of Mobility, consider enrolling in our 15-week courses: Course I: Mobility Behavior & Technology and Course II: Mobility System Design, Finance & Regulation.
There are no prerequisites for this module.
To view technical requirements, click here.
Administrative/Online Technical Support
Support staff are available via phone and email to help with administrative and technical issues during our normal business hours (Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time).
Content Questions and Support
Candidates are welcome to contact the course instructors and/or their course assistants with content-related questions and support.
Peter Adriaens, PhD
- Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering
Foundations of Mobility Online Certificate
TWO COURSES • 15 WEEKS EACH
Foundations of Mobility provides systems-level knowledge and skills required to address complex mobility challenges. Learn from expert faculty from six different colleges across the University of Michigan. Gain real-world skills and practical applications. Leave with a distinguished credential from the leaders in mobility research and education.