FOUNDATIONS OF MOBILITY
Mobility and the Environment
The Mobility and the Environment module examines the many ways that transportation affects the environment, including factors that determine the scale of impact and how these factors affect externalities such as air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions. You will learn about transportation energy use, how environmental concerns have been addressed to date, and technologies that can help improve the sustainability of mobility. This module also covers the environmental effects of major modes of transportation, including light-duty vehicles (personal travel), medium and heavy-duty vehicles (goods movement), air travel, and maritime shipping. By the end of the module, you will understand how major impacts are measured, know where to find data on the environmental effects of mobility systems, and recognize the public agencies and other entities involved in addressing mobility and the environment.
You will finish this module with a comprehensive understanding of how mobility affects the environment, including the importance of scale, the general principles of environmental protection and how they apply to transportation, and what is meant by sustainability overall.
- Introduction – Module Overview and Key Concepts
- Travel Demand
- New Mobility Systems and the Future of Travel Demand
- Transportation Energy Use
- Transportation and Global Climate Change
- Transportation and Air Quality
- Motor Vehicle Emissions Control Systems
- Progress and Challenges in Motor Vehicle Emissions Control
- Vehicle Efficiency – Light-Duty Vehicles
- Vehicle Efficiency – Medium- and Heavy-Duty Vehicles
- Renewable Fuels
- Electric Vehicle Technologies
- How Do Plug-In Hybrid Electric Cars Work?
- Electric Vehicle Energy and Emission Impacts
- Air Travel and the Environment
- Toward Sustainable Mobility – Module Summary and Synthesis
- You will have access to the Mobility and the Environment module for 60 days.
- This module contains 6-7 hours of required recorded material and an associated testing assessment.
- The module also includes supplemental reading material to bolster your knowledge.
You must successfully complete the module topics, readings, and testing assessment with an 80% pass rate to earn a digital badge for the Mobility and the Environment module.
To earn a Certificate in Foundations of Mobility, consider enrolling in our 15-week courses: Course I: Mobility Behavior & Technology and Course II: Mobility System Design, Finance & Regulation.
There are no prerequisites for this module.
To view technical requirements, click here.
Administrative/Online Technical Support
Support staff are available via phone and email to help with administrative and technical issues during our normal business hours (Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time).
Content Questions and Support
Candidates are welcome to contact the course instructors and/or their course assistants with content-related questions and support.
John DeCicco, PhD
- Research Professor Emeritus, Energy Institute
Foundations of Mobility Online Certificate
TWO COURSES • 15 WEEKS EACH
Foundations of Mobility provides systems-level knowledge and skills required to address complex mobility challenges. Learn from expert faculty from six different colleges across the University of Michigan. Gain real-world skills and practical applications. Leave with a distinguished credential from the leaders in mobility research and education.