PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION CERTIFICATES
Scenario Planning for Urban Futures
Time Commitment3 days
Not ready to commit?
Subscribe for email updates on future offerings and get a program brochure.
Earn a digital badge after successful completion of the course.
A certificate will be awarded upon successful completion of this course.
AICP CM credits pending
Must pass assessments with 80% or higher to receive a certificate and digital badge.
Traveling to Ann Arbor?
Information on airport, hotels, local food options, and more.
Click for details.
Create Resilient and Sustainable Cities with Scenario Planning.
Scenario planning is a practice that allows communities to plan for an uncertain future. Planners can explore long-term implications of multiple scenarios and prepare for critical uncertainties.
The practice guides planners, community members, and other stakeholders through various plausible scenarios and potential futures. Stakeholders learn how to effectively respond to and plan for these possibilities. In the course, urban planning professionals will gain first-hand knowledge about the scenario planning process. They will leave with concrete ideas for how to implement scenarios in their cities.
- Develop knowledge and skills to be reflective practitioners who draw on scenario techniques, including scenario analysis, life cycles, scenario development, and more.
- Learn to appropriately foster urban progress for future scenarios through effective planning methods and practice.
- Gain hands-on knowledge of techniques to analyze trends, construct scenario narratives, and model scenarios using GIS tools.
9:00AM – 5:30PM ET
This program is available both in person in Ann Arbor and as a 3-day remote-live session via Zoom.
Course participants will dive deep into the topic. They will examine theory, review case studies, and participate in interactive activities. Upon course completion, they will have concrete ideas for how to implement scenarios in their communities.
LAPTOP REQUIRED FOR ATTENDANCE
Participants will receive digital reading materials, scenario planning tools, and other content digitally.
IN PARTNERSHIP WITH the lincoln institute of land policy
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
- Urban planning professionals
- Early career professionals seeking to advance their skills
- Consultants seeking to deepen their expertise to win bids
- Advanced scenario planning practitioners seeking to reflect on their practices
- Master’s level urban planning students at programs where the topic is not available
- PhD students in various fields, e.g., sustainability, public policy, social work
- Applied researchers
News & Articles
Robert Goodspeed, PhD
- Associate Professor of Urban and Regional Planning, Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning
- Associate Director of Planning Practice and Scenario Planning, Lincoln Institute of Land Policy
Foundations of Mobility
Gain the knowledge, skills, and problem-solving techniques required to address today’s complex transportation challenges.
Inspire organizational change with creative problem solving and strategic action.